Enos House (Circa 1820)
Warren House, known locally as the Enos House, is located
on the grounds of Surry County Parks and Recreation, near
the junction of State Routes 10 and 31 in Surry County,
Virginia (See Map page) (View
Exterior only - the interior is not open to the public).
It is a story-and-a-half, four-bay structure, with a low,
full-length shed porch on the front. This porch is a later
addition, but it appears to have replaced an earlier one.
Some early nine-over-nine and nine-over-six sash windows
survive in the house.
The Enos House is a good example of a middle-class farmhouse
of the early nineteenth century in Surry County. Built
by the Warren family before 1820, the house has an unusual
double-pile, hall-and-parlor plan. This plan is a regional
peculiarity found in a few late eighteenth and early nineteenth-century
houses in the area of the south of the James stretching
from Surry County to Chesterfield County. It is a hybrid
type of plan and represents the first infiltration of
Georgian ideas, in the form of two-room-deep houses, into
an area which was traditionally isolated and consequently
clung tenaciously to traditional forms, such as the hall-and-parlor
house, until well into the nineteenth century. The inconspicuous
social status of its builders is a significant fact since
few earlier dwellings of persons of this economic level
in Virginia have survived.
on a low Flemish-bond underpinning, the house has two
brick exterior end chimneys on the west gable end; the
front (south) one is laid in Flemish bond, while the rear
one is laid in three-course American bond. A chimney which
served the southeast room has been replaced by a window.
The whole structure is clad with beaded
weather- boards, with some un-beaded
nineteenth-century replacement weatherboards used on the
gable ends. Box cornices embellish the ends and two pedimented
dormers break each slope of the standing-seam sheet metal-covered
The porch roof has preserved several courses of original,
round-butt shingles. The plan of the house is an unusual
one in Virginia, but one found in a number of late eighteenth
and early nineteenth-century houses in the river counties
south of the James River
from Surry to Chesterfield. It is essentially a double-pile,
hall-parlor house with the front (south) rooms slightly
deeper than the rear rooms, and the west rooms wider than
the east rooms. Tandem exterior doors lead into the two
front rooms, and an enclosed winder stair ascends in the
northwest (inside rear) corner of the southeast room.
An original mantel with paired rectangular recessed panels,
surmounted by an unsupported shelf, survives in the southwest
room. A similar mantel in the northwest room has been
torn from the wall and broken by vandals, but all of the
pieces survive. A pedestal chair rail survives in the
two west rooms as well. No other early trim remains on
the first floor. It is unlikely that there ever was much
A double-beaded chair board is used throughout the second
floor, which is distinguished by its beaded, whitewashed
ceiling joists (actually the collar beams of the roof).
An ell of no distinction was added to the house early
in the twentieth century. At the same time, a matchboard
ceiling was installed throughout the first floor of the
old house, while matchboard wainscoting and a brick stove
flue were installed in the northeast room(then being used
as a kitchen). No early outbuildings survive.
ownership of the Warren House has been difficult to trace.
However, land book data indicates that the property was
owned in the early nineteenth century by the Warren family,
who had probably held it since the seventeenth century.
The earliest county landbooks for 1783 credit ownership
of 275 acres to Joseph Warren. In 1803, the land was divided
between Joseph Warren and Rebecca Warren, possibly an
unmarried sister to whom a life tenancy was specified.
It was apparently sometime between 1803 and 1817, when
Rebecca Warren's portion was transferred to a Mark Warren,
that the present house was built for her. Several rapid
transactions after 1817 resulted in ownership passing
to James Jones by 1819. If the Warrens did not construct
the house, then Jones likely did it during the first year
of his tenure. In 1820, the first year in which building
valuations were recorded in the land books, the buildings
on the property were assessed at $250, a valuation which
remained unchanged until 1840 when a $50 increase was
recorded. No more change in the assessment occurred until
1858 when $200 was added to the valuation of the land.
Several more changes in ownership occurred between 1826
and 1837, when the land was acquired by the Spratley family
who held it until 1870. Twelve changes in ownership later,
the property, by then known as the Enos Tract, was acquired
by the County government. A comprehensive site plan has
been developed for use of the tract for County administration
and for recreation, with the adaptive use of the house
and the construction of new buildings sympathetic to it
as central concerns.