image

Jamestown-Scotland Ferry
90th Anniversary Celebration

Captain Albert Jester sailed aboard the "Capt. John Smith" in the first automobile ferry crossing of the James River on February 26, 1925. Ninety (90) years later, VDOT marked the historic event. A special presentation and cake cutting took place March 17, 2015 - followed by a Ceremonial Ferry Automobile Crossing of the James River. Immediately following VDOT's event, a special preview event was held to see the newly-restored deckhouse of the original "Capt. John Smith" ferry vessel at the Surry County Historical Society and Museums, located at 281 Bank Street, Surry, VA.

For more information contact:
Laurie Simmons,
VDOT Public Affairs.
757-925-1647
Laurie.Simmons@VDOT.Virginia.gov


Surry County Administrative Office
PO Box 65
Surry, VA 23883
757-294-5271
Email:pbernshausen@surrycountyva.gov
Web Site: www.surrycountyva.gov
| Our Other Attractions | Home Page | Contact Surry County Tourism |
     
image